Family Court Support
* Provide survivors with information about the family court process.
• Assist the survivor to record the history of abuse for court documentation.
• Provide the survivor with safety planning and referral for risk assessment.
• Accompany survivors to lawyer’s appointments; legal or mediation appointments and court proceedings.
• Support the survivor to follow through on her lawyer’s requests.
• Assist the survivor through the Legal Aid process.
• Debrief and discuss court outcomes, lawyer appointments, Family Law Information Centre meetings, consultations with duty counsel and next steps.
• Refer survivors to specialized services and support (both domestic violence – specific and culturally relevant services) in the community.
• Communicate with criminal court-based services, such as Victim Witness Assistance Program, in accordance with protocol.
• Communicate with other family court-based services and referral sources to ensure seamless delivery of appropriate information and support.
• Assist survivors in navigating through the family court system.
This post is also available in: French